Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Why experience is valued

So there I am, hurriedly departing for office in the morning, with my mind constantly reminding me that I have to leave my scooter for service, and then take a bus to office, when my mom comes over and tells me not to forget the lunch box.

I say, "I never forget it."

Mom says, "It's not that. Last time, when Anna (Tamil for elder brother) delivered his vehicle for service, he forgot to take his lunch box from under the seat. You don't do the same thing again."

I say, pretty dismissively, "Ya ya. I won't forget it."

When I reached the workshop, I found that I was at the end of a long line of people who had come to deliver their vehicles for service. After a wait of what seemed an eternity, (and what was actually 45 minutes), I told the guy that this was a free service, and that the brake lever was loose. The service rep. told me that my vehicle would be delivered the next day.

Already pretty late, I hurried towards the bus stop. Halfway there, I realized something: I did not have my lunch bag with me!! It was still in the vehicle!!

I ran back to the workshop. I told the security guy there that I needed my lunch bag and asked him for the keys to my scooter. The guy searched in a tray of keys, but told me mine wasn't to be found. I thought, "Maybe they must have left it in the scooter itself", and looked over at my scooter, but no, it wasn't. I searched the tray; no key. Finally, another guy came and he searched - again no key. He said, "Maybe it's in here" and opened a cupboard. There were a few keys in there, and among them, mine!!

I ran over to my scooter, opened the seat, and retrieved my lunch bag. I ran back to the dealer, deposited the keys, and ran to the bus stop.

Hmmm... so much for experience.

No comments: